We just returned from a family beach trip to Seacrest Beach on beautiful 30-A in Florida. Pops rented a beautiful house, so we would have plenty of room for the 6-night stay. Aunt B and Uncle Jay joined us later in the week.
Evelyn had an absolute ball, both at the pool and the beach! At the beach, her favorite activity was chasing the sandpiper birdies, and she wore us out with all of her running down the beach.... and back again.... and repeat. "Come back here, birdies!" she would yell with determination, followed by what we call her high-pitched "ridiculous laughter." I'm glad I caught some video footage of this ridiculous baby laughter, because one day I'm going to be awfully sad when she doesn't do it anymore!
This year again, she LOVED the ocean. We really had to keep a good grip on her because she is so squirmy and in total "I'll do it myself" mode. She was not afraid to run toward the ocean and just bell-flop right in (scary, so we had to be fast in catching her and pulling her back up again!), and she was not afraid at all to go deep in the water with Daddy or Mommy to jump over waves. She's much braver than I was at her age, because I can remember climbing my dad's shoulders in that deep water, terrified and begging to be brought back to safety!
Every day at the beach, we had to hunt for "the Crab Monster" up and down the beach. And then every night after dinner, we'd take a walk around the Seacrest neighborhood in search of the legendary "Wolf Monster." Ev continues to be obsessed with the idea of a "Wolf Monster," thanks to all of the childhood stories that include a wolf as the antagonist... Little Red Riding Hood, the Three Little Pigs, etc.
All of us adults plus Evelyn would gather up our flashlights and walk outside to hunt the Wolf Monster. Ev would beg us to go and find him, acting brave: "We have to find the Woof-monsa!" But as soon as we were outside in the dark, she would go from person to person saying, "YOU WANT TO HODE ME!" So maybe we are not as brave as we let on :-) Gammy and Aunt B were usually the suckers who gave in to toting her around the neighborhood for several blocks!!
We adults would take turns hiding behind palm trees and making Wolf Monster noises, or shining our flashlights in the tree tops or tops of condos.... I have no idea what the neighbors thought! But who cares... Evelyn had a blast, and on one of the last night, we finally found that pesky Wolf Monster on the top of one condo's crow's nest.... or so she thinks ;-)
We had a great vacation, and for the first time at the beach, I didn't feel completely overwhelmed with having to take care of her 24-7. She's become so much more independent and easily entertains herself. It's kind of scary that we are about to flip all of that around with a newborn in a few months! But it will be all worth it!
She is really growing up to be such a sweetheart. She tells me, "Iiiiiii Loooooove You, Mommy," all the time, dragging out the first two words just like I do with her. She gives Conan and me fast kisses all over our faces while she holds her cheeks, just like we do with her. And one of her very special things that she does when she is really happy to see us, or being especially lovey, is to give us a "Ne-ne."
This all started when I noticed on days that I'd pick her up from daycare, she would run to me super fast, squealing, "Ne-ne-ne-ne!" all the way to my arms. It is her unique little way of showing that she is overjoyed with love. Other times, when she is very sleepy, or cuddly (or wants something!), she will press her little face to mine and say, "Ne-ne-ne-ne-ne!" And I give her "Ne-ne's" back :-)
She's also doing amazing at daycare. This week was Teacher Appreciation Week, and I honestly grew emotional when writing out thank-you cards for her teachers! Nowadays, when I take her to school she runs down the hallway to her classroom and pops right in, so confident! She participates in every activity, and always has stories to share with me in the afternoons about Miss Molly, Miss Tow-tow (Celuto), Miss Chantelle, and Miss Ria (Maria). She tells them she loves them, and I know she truly does! I am so thankful they were patient and did not give up on her, and I am so thankful that we did not give up on them! We had a long stretch of 4 or 5 months that were very difficult, but I don't feel like the next transition to a new classroom in August will be anything like what we experienced this past year. I truly believe she has learned how to adapt a little better, and this is also evident when we take her to the church daycare when we visit Aunt B and Uncle Jay.
She's also doing super with her potty training lately. We continue to have to take her to the potty every hour, because she isn't ready to tell us when she needs to go just yet. But she has been going #2 in the potty for the last two weeks -- finally! -- and celebrating it. For me, that is a huge milestone! She is also going with me in the public restrooms when we are out shopping, and I'm glad she isn't afraid to do that. There are days when I wish so badly she would go ahead and be able to TELL US, "I need to go potty," but I know that we can't force it. I have to be happy with where we are right now, but in the months to come, we will need her to progress more and more, so that she can be potty trained by the time Baby Frith is here!
Here are some recent pictures of my sweet two and a half year old, including her Spring school photos!


No comments:
Post a Comment