Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Over the (Growing) Hump!

Hi friends!

I can't believe how long I've been away from my blog! We are officially back on dry land after our Caribbean cruise, so please excuse the absence of updates. I did manage to take some belly shots over the past three weeks, so I didn't miss documenting mine and B. Frith's growth!

But first, I have to rewind a bit to June 7, two days before we flew down to Orlando. I was too busy packing and running last-minute errands to write about it then, but this was the day that Conan felt the baby's movements for the first time. Such a special moment! B. Frith seems to be particularly active when I lay down in bed at night to read myself to sleep (please God don't let this be an omen). I guess he/she must really enjoy my before-bedtime snacks, or maybe the baby likes me moving about all day, and is protesting that I get back up off my hiney and entertain him/her some more. Either way, B. Frith is always punching and kicking as soon as I hit the bed.

This particular night, June 7, the movements were so strong, I was sure that Conan would be able to feel them if he placed his hand on my tummy. He was laying beside me reading, too, so I said, "Put your hand here, babe. Can you feel that?"

Nothing yet, but -- Conan has been so cute about talking to the baby from the very start, so with his flattened hand on my stomach, he called out, "Hey little baby. It's Dad!" 

*Kick, kick!*

Conan again: "What are you trying to tell Dad? What are you up to in there?"

*Punch, punch!*

I will never forget my husband's wide eyes and full smile as he felt that for the first time. Hands-down the best experience of this pregnancy so far! That night, it was truly as if they were having a little conversation between them. Conan would speak, then pause, and B. Frith seemed to respond immediately! We laughed out loud, we were so tickled.

After that night, I felt the baby moving every other day or so. Sometimes right before dinner time (hint, hint), sometimes when I was sunbathing (as if he/she was enjoying the sunshine), and almost always when I'd lay down in bed for the night. In the past three days or so, B. Frith's movements have REALLY picked up, and I am feeling him/her sporadically throughout the day... and always at bedtime. :)

So yesterday I officially hit the 20-week mark (over the *growing* hump), and I couldn't decide if 20 more weeks to go sounded like too many or too few! My friend Kathy said, "That all depends on the day," and she's so right. There are days when I think I am so happy that I still have this long to prepare for mommyhood and to enjoy the final weeks of it being just Conan and me. Then there are the days when I think I can't wait to finally meet this little one and let the real fun begin. And, too, there are those days when I honestly can't wait to get my waistline back and not feel extremely bloated after every little small thing I eat.

The past week or so, sleeping on my sides has become more uncomfortable because of my swelling tummy -- it's much better when I sleep with a pillow between my legs, but I really miss laying on my stomach or back. And, bending over even to tie my shoes, I feel a pressure in my tummy that I haven't felt before. I think about how much huger (not a word, but bigger doesn't really suffice) I have to get, and I wonder I'm going to hang in there!

I realize I may not have another 20 weeks, but even another 15 seems daunting sometimes, when I think that I've only actually known that I was pregnant for 15 weeks. It seems like forever ago that we found out. Still, I am ever grateful to be feeling great and sleeping well once again. (I went through a bad spout of insomnia right before vacation and in the first few days of vacation while we were in Orlando, but thank goodness that is over... for now.) I'm still able to exercise and jog practically every day for at least 45-60 mins., and that, more than anything, helps me feel like my normal self again.

Tomorrow we have our 20-week ultrasound to find out if B. Frith is a BOY or a GIRL, and from that point, I guess I will have to drop the "B. Frith" and start calling him/her by their name! Well... if it's a girl, we may still be going by B. Frith for a while longer since we haven't even picked out a girl name! We have just been so sure it's a boy... we'll see what B. Frith has to say about that tomorrow :)

It feels unreal to me to know that tomorrow we find out if we're having a son or a daughter. I can't even imagine how much this knowledge is going to change the rest of my pregnancy, and make it even more real... and more joyful.

I'll be SURE to blog with the ultrasound pictures after tomorrow's appointment, and I also plan to blog later this weekend about how it feels to be pregnant on vacation. That should be a good one :)

Before I sign out for the day, here are the last three weeks of belly pictures!

18 Weeks, 5 days: My jogging pants are getting a lil tight :)






19 Weeks, 2 days: I forgot to take a sideways photo this week, but this is the baby belly in Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Honduras!


20 weeks, 1 day:



What a difference a few weeks makes!


Thanks for reading. Love to all,

Ames

6 comments:

frith5 said...

Everyone, please note this! Amy practiced swimming for nearly two hours at the beach in Honduras! She is amazing! She left me, Conan, & Billy behind in the waves!
I bet Baby Frith will be in the Olympics!

Love MAMA FRITH

Amanda Pair said...

I can't wait to hear what you are having! I don't know why, but I picture you as a mommy to a boy. You never know though!!

I don't know what your post this weekend will be about, but I hope it has something to do with being the only sober person in the bunch. Between being pregnant and nursing, that has been me for almost an entire year (on 7/15). I'm ready for a DRINK! :)

Kari Jean said...

Dang, girl! You still look so tiny compared to the way I did at 20 weeks. It's so funny how different people are. I was in full-blown maternity clothes at 14 weeks!!

I'm still sayin' boy. :)

Boof said...

You look great and I can't wait for tomorrow! I am glad you two were able to go on your vacation and relax!

The Funderburk Family said...

I'm with Kari. You don't even look pregnant! I can kind of see where you are losing a little curve at the waistline, but that's it. Simply adorable! Love you, and I'm saying boy too.

joycoon said...

YAY for updates!! The main reason your precious angel moves around more at night is b/c during the day when you walk around (or in your case exercise like a mad woman, lol) that puts your bebe to sleep!! So do expect to feel more movement when you are still or at night when sleeping :-) and enjoy every minute of it (you will miss it I promise!!) I am so glad your bebe kicks for Conan. Daniel was very paticular about whom he kicked for. He did kick for Bobby some but the only other person who ever felt him move was my Nana (he liked to kick for her)! I know in some ways you are ready to not be pregnant (like the whole not being able to tie your shoe, or paint your tootsies, and the list will grow as you do!) but just try to wait till your precious angel is ready to come into this world instead of listening to everyone when they tell you to induce (and trust me there will be lots of encouragement to do this) Unless you have a problem or your baby is in trouble it's worth the wait b/c the longer he/she "cooks" the better/healthier they will be!!

Your belly is still smaller than mine, lol!! But you are so fit and healthy it may be farther into your pregnancy when OTHER people can really tell you are pregnant. I know that you feel huge but that is in part hormones and the other part b/c you've always been so fit and skinny!!

I can't WAIT to hear if you are having a boy/girl!! I am so stinkin excited I could hardly sleep last night!!! I'm so glad you had a good time on your trip but I'm also so glad you are back!! I missed my friend!! LOVE you and praying for you and your precious angel everyday!!

Ps- sorry this is so long!!