I'm back-tracking a little bit on this post, since we have now been back in Seattle for two and a half weeks. But the memories forged and the bonds sweetened during our three-week trip back home to Alabama with Baby Girl are still very fresh on my mind! March in the South is always a wonderful time, and this March was even brighter because it represented Evelyn's first experience of Springtime -- and of a place that is so near and dear to Mommy and Daddy, though we've been so far away for what seems like a very long time now.
We had a beautiful visit home. And for those of you who don't already know, the icing on the cake is that this past visit was the last time we'll be "visiting" Alabama for a good, long while. That's because we've officially decided to pack our bags and our household, and move back home to Alabama in June. After some soul-searching, Conan and I have decided this is what's best for our little family -- to be close to our BIG family back home -- that great, big group of people who know us and love us best, and who can also help us love Evelyn the best. She needs to be around her extended family. I know she needs this because I had the privilege of growing up around so many cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents, myself. Family is where the heart is, and it has been difficult trying to stretch our hearts 3,000 miles away for four and a half years now (and that's just for me -- it's been six and a half for Conan!)
Now that Evelyn is with us, we realize too that babies aren't meant for keeping to yourself. They are most certainly meant to be shared with family and friends, and so much of the very best pride and joy that she gives to Conan and me is centered in the joy that she brings to our parents as her grandparents, to our siblings as her aunts and uncles, and so on... there really is nothing like sharing your baby with your family.
We really can't stand to keep her away from them any longer, when they have so much love and support to give... and in return, she has all the light of the world in one teensy finger -- so much, that we know she has the potential to bring great happiness and great change in the lives of each of our family members, as she has done in ours. This became evident to me when I had her home in Alabama in March, and I just can't wait to be back permanently (well, for a good long while, anyway ;-) so we can all see just how much she will impact the dynamics of our extended families for the better.
It's hard to think of how to begin narrating Baby Evelyn's first visit home to Alabama, so I think I'll use some pictures to help me along... I only took a few ;-)
 |
| Grandpa knows the way to a baby girl's heart is through her tummy :) |
 |
| And Meme knows I likes to rock! |
 |
| Every morning, when I would wake Mommy up and she was so tired -- there would be Meme, right there! And she would take me from Mommy and pay with me, so Mommy could eat breakfast and drink a cup of coffee and answer emails. |
 |
| I think my Meme wants some of that milk I stores in my cheeks, but I not sharing it. |
 |
| Mommy said Meme might start a bad habit because I would always want to be rocked and rocked from now on, but I don't think it was a bad habit, not one bit. And this picture shows how chubby my legs are. |
 |
| I always recognize that Grandpa -- whenever he comes in the room, I smiles and smiles! |
 |
| We're pals, my Grandpa and me. |
 |
| Grandpa would take me walking around the sunroom and the backyard to show me the trees, flowers and squirrels. And we'd have talks, just my Grandpa and me, but I can't tell you what about -- cause it's just for us pals. |
 |
| And Grandpa, he lets me play the peeping game over his shoulder. |
 |
| My Unca Jeff, he scared me the first time I met him 'cause he made real loud, funny noises. Mom calls him a word called boisterous. But after he made me cry, he said he sowwy and came back every afternoon to see me again, so I learned to be comfortable with my Unca Jeff. And I loves him. |
 |
| Unca Jeff, he has a realllll pretty girlfriend called Miss Anna who Unca Jeff calls his fiancee. She has a thing i want called an iPhone, and I am going to be a flower baby in her wedding next Spring. |
 |
| See, my Unca Jeff, he loves me and I never cry again when he holds me. |
 |
| Unca Jeff always says to me, "Hey Little Girl!!" |
 |
| He knows I am a big girl, and I's can walk before I's can crawl. |
 |
| And here is Meme, rocking me again and holding my papi in my mouth, 'cause that's what I likes the most when I am verrrrry seepies. |
 |
| And because she gives me just what I likes, I gives her lots of smiles! |
 |
| Sometimes, Meme would take me outside on a big blanket. This is where I first learned about being "outside" and got to feel the sunshine and the nice breeze. |
 |
| I even get to eat outside! I love outside! |
 |
| See, Unca Jeff back to see me again, because I'm his sweet girl. |
 |
| I got to celebrate Meme's 60th birthday with her -- the same day that I turned 4 months old! We are each other's favorites. |
 |
| Mommy says Grandpa will never know what a big help it is to feed me bottles! All this time, I thought Mommy liked to give me bottles... |
 |
| Meme tastes real good first thing in the morning. |
 |
| Mommy says if I shouldn't eat my Meme all up, or I won't have any Meme left! But she still looks fine to me, so I's eat her up all over again. |
 |
| My Unca Jay makes me play a funny game with my feet. He calls me a "Wolly," and he talks real funny too, and I likes it. |
 |
| My Unca Jay, he babysitted me on Mommy's 31st birthday so she could go out with Aunt Bunny and her friends. Unca Jay fed me 7 oz. instead of 6 and so I likes him very much! |
 |
| My Unca Jay is married to my Aunt Bunny, who is my blonde Mommy. |
 |
| One day, Mommy took me to Mrs. Erika's house to pay with my baby bestie, Avery. Avery was 5 months old, and I was 4 months old, but we is still best buddies. |
 |
| First time Avery met me, she reached and reached and wanted to hug me and touch me, she liked me so much. |
 |
| We had so much fun that day, Mommy took me back for another playdate with Avery. I showed her how much I liked her by holding her hand... and then pooping on her changing table. |
 |
| Tickle, tickle, Avery! |
 |
| Mommy sang a song, and Avery and I cheered and cheered. |
 |
| Hold hands -- here we go! Kick kick kick! |
 |
| Best friends forever. |
 |
| Me and Avery, we likes the same things. Like songs. And our fingers. |
 |
| Mommy and Mrs. Erika's old boss and friend Mr. Terry came by to visit with his wife, Mrs. Danna. |
 |
| Later that night, my Aunt Bunny sang to me after I suckered her into getting me from my swing when I was juuuuust about to fall asleep. Unca Jay said, "Step away from the baby." But my Aunt Bunny snatched me anyway! |
 |
| Aunt Bunny and Unca Jay has a kitty named Desi who babysat me during the day. And tried to bat at my head. But she has no claws, so Mommy says it's okay. |
 |
| Mommy has so many pretty friends who came to see me! Mrs. Kari came to see me... |
 |
| Miss Rossi came to see me.... |
 |
| Mrs. Sheri came to see me too! (oh and to see Mommy for her birthday) |
 |
| Aunt Bunny and Mommy got all dolled up to leave me with Unca Jay... meanwhile I was saving up a big surprise in my diaper for my Unca Jay to change when Aunt Bunny, Mommy, and the other girls finally left! That's a fun game! |
 |
| Mommy, Meme and Grandpa took me to Gardendale to meet my GREAT-Grandmother James. |
 |
| My Great-Grandmother James had a sister named Evelyn, just like me. |
 |
| Great Grandmother said, "My, my what a fine baby you have! I believe she's healthy!" |
 |
| Great-Grandmother gave me this babydoll to have as my friend for life. |
 |
| I tried to wiggle out of my Great-Grandmother's arms, but she's pretty strong, that Great-Grandmother! Even though she doesn't weigh that much more than me :) |
 |
| We had a fun playday together on the weekend my Great-Grandmother turned 94 years old. |
 |
| Great-grandmother sang "You are My Sunshine" and played games with me. |
 |
| She said I was SUCH a fine baby and she told Mommy: "You know, I believe Evelyn reminds me of myself when I was a baby." Ha ha! |
 |
| Great-grandmother was amazed at how strong I was for four months old! |
 |
| She said I was a very pretty baby, and she told everyone to hush so I could take a nap. |
 |
| Great-grandmother had a book of butterflies... How did she know they were my favorite?! |
 |
| I have another Great-Grandmother whose name is Maw Maw Nell. She is my Daddy's Grandmother. |
 |
| Great-Grandmother Nell said I sure was pretty! |
 |
| My Pops taught me how to play with shapes. Grandpa was there, too, to root me on. |
 |
| Pops wanted me to put the shapes in the bucket -- but I had to taste them first, to know what colors they were! |
 |
| Yes, I got my Meme to rock me again! |
 |
| And again... |
 |
| Rock, rock, rock... |
 |
| And rock some more.... |
 |
| Something tells me my Meme has done this rocking thing before... she sure is good at it. |
 |
| Grandpa, I love you, love you, love you so much. |
 |
| I like your whiskers and your nose. Can I have them? |
 |
| Yes, I got my Grandpa to rock me too! |
 |
| Yeah, I know, Meme -- that's called a camera. Mommy is always pointing it at me's. |
 |
| I dunno why my Grandpa always whacking me on the back. |
 |
| This is my Unca Jeff being that thing called boisterous again -- but I just calls him crazy. :) |
 |
| I am a pretty lucky girl -- I also have me a Great-GRANDFATHER. |
 |
| My Great-Grandfather's name is Paw Paw Foshee, and he is my Daddy's Grandfather. |
 |
| Great-Grandfather Foshee let me sit on his lap in the chair that moves. |
 |
| I gave him a little taste to see if he was okay. And he tasted pretty good to me! |
 |
| Aunt Bunny and Unca Jay drove back down to Montgomery to see me again before I left to go home to Seattle. |
 |
| Aunt Bunny makes me giggle 'cause she calls me her "Chi chi" |
 |
| We likes our hairs in the wind, Aunt Bunny and me. |
 |
| Unca Jeff's hair don't really blow in the wind. :) |
 |
| Mommy told me not to eat my Aunt Bunny all up, or I wouldn't have any Aunt Bunny left. But she says that about everyone, and they're all still here! |
 |
| In this place called Alabama, it's okay for me to show off my belly and my diaper -- and go without socks! |
 |
| I can lay outside and look up through the treetops and daydream... |
 |
| I wear flowers in my hair and can taste the nice breeze on my dress... |
 |
| All of my family lives in this place called Alabama -- even Grandpa does! |
 |
| So I thinks I's gonna be right at home in Alabama, and I can't wait to be there again soon. |
So there you have it -- doesn't Evelyn look right at home?
While we are making the most out of our remaining weeks here in Seattle, spending time with friends whom we love very much and will miss dearly -- we are also counting down the days until we're South-bound. Our move date is scheduled for June 21. We have a beautiful house to rent in Auburn, where Conan will be able to finish his degree while I continue to work from home. We are both VERY excited about living in the Loveliest Village on the Plains... I can't say that when I graduated from Auburn in 2003, I ever dreamed that I would return almost 10 years later to raise my baby daughter. We are lucky to have good friends in Auburn, and both sets of grandparents will be just a short, 45-minute drive down I-65. (Although I expect they will be putting our guest room to very good use!) Ev's aunts and uncles are also nearby in Montgomery and Birmingham, as are oodles of close friends that are basically an extension of our families. We will have all of the support we've needed, a well-deserved break from the rainy weather, and for Conan -- relief from a 4-hour daily commute to school every day (yes, you read that correctly!).
Conan and I have had some amazing times together as a young married couple in Seattle, and I cherish the years we spent here. But in all honesty, we've also had some extremely stressful, tough times lately transitioning into parenthood basically on our own, while trying to juggle jobs and school. Making the decision to move back home as a family and taking all of the strides necessary to get us there has felt like the beginning of a Springtime in all three of our lives -- mine, Conan and Ev's. I have to say we are very happy with where we are heading!
Love to all,
Ames
1 comment:
Love all the pictures!! I think you guys are making a wonderful decision to move home. You are all very loved and EV sure brings joy with her! Congrats!
Post a Comment